The residents loved this no bake dessert last week. Who doesn’t love strawberries!?
-1 box (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding
-1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-25 golden oreos
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
-1 1/2 containers (8 oz. each) cool whip topping
-1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced and patted dry
1. Whisk pudding, milk and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Let it sit while you prepare the crust.
2. Crush the cookies in a chopper. Reserve half of the cookie crumbs. Place the 2 tablespoons of melted butter in a bowl with half the oreo crumbs and press with your hands to work the butter through the cookie crumbs. Pour crumbs into a 9″ square baking dish. The crust wont be solid, it’ll stay crumbly.
3. Fold 8 oz. of the whipped topping into the pudding. Place half the pudding mixture on top of the crust. Place the strawberries in a single layer over the pudding. Spread remaining pudding mix over the top of the berries. Top with more whipped topping and sprinkle the remaining cookies over the top.
4. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Some of our other residents enjoyed this dip. Some ate it with tortilla chips while others ate it plain. If you’re looking for a little spice, use spicy sausage instead of original and use the medium or hot rotel tomatoes and chiles.
-1 lb. ground pork sausage
-8 oz. cream cheese (no need to soften)
-2 cans (10 oz. each) of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles, un-drained
-15 oz. can of corn, drained
-8 oz. medium cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a large dry pot or deep skillet over medium/high heat, brown sausage (10-12 min), breaking it apart with your spatula (the sausage releases enough oil to grease the pan). When browned, remove excess grease by pushing a paper towel around the pan with spatula until fully saturated then discard.
2. Cut cream cheese into pieces and stir into browned pork until melted and incorporated.
3. Add 2 cans un-drained Rotel tomatoes, 15 oz. can drained corn, and 8 oz. shredded cheddar (reserve some cheddar to garnish the top if desired). Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally just until bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from heat, garnish with fresh tomatoes, reserved cheddar, and chopped chives. Serve with tortilla chips.